'The Curve' - Learning Support
The Learning Support Unit at LYIT, titled ‘The Curve’, was established to encourage and support all students throughout their time at LYIT.
The Curve offers invaluable advice and support to a diverse range of students and operates an open-door policy at all times.
Listed below are the supports available….
Mathematics Learning Centre
The purpose of the Mathematics Learning Centre (MLC) is to support students’ mathematics learning across all courses in LYIT.
Perhaps you lack confidence in your ability to do mathematics? Perhaps you missed out somewhere along the line or had a negative experience learning maths? Whatever the reason, don’t wait until it’s too late. The Curve are here to help all students and offer the following services:
- Small group tutorial support in Maths and Physics topics
- Limited individual consultations
- Exam revision support sessions
- Online support via Blackboard and email
- Access to special resources including digital pencasts
It is important to understand that the MLC is not a replacement for attending lectures.
Communication Learning Centre
The aim of the Communication Learning Centre (CLC) is to help students with academic writing and study skills. This service is for all students at LYIT. The CLC provides a number of workshops throughout the academic year:
- Preparing and delivering an effective presentation
- Writing an essay: advice on process and structure
- Advice on referencing and avoiding plagiarism
- Advice on exam preparation and technique
- Turnitin advice and information
QuickScan is an easy to use, multi-functional screening questionnaire that takes 10-20 minutes to complete and identifies specific areas of learning strengths and weaknesses.
All first year students at LYIT undertake the Quickscan questionnaire on Registration day in September.
On completion, QuickScan generates a report that identifies:
- The student’s preferred learning style, giving strategies and information on how to get the best out of time spent studying
- Any learning supports that will help student learning
- Useful studying skills
- Maths difficulties
- Visual stress
- Learning confidence.
The Curve is located on the third floor of the main building, close to Room 3453. Below is a list of the staff at the Curve, should you need to speak to someone:
|Brian McGonagle||Access Officer||+353 (0)74 918 firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Roisin Mc Cormack||Disability Officer||+353 (0)74 918 email@example.com|
|Adrienne Kearns||Learning Support Tutor||+353 (0)74 918 firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Joe Carlin||Technical Support||+353 (0)74 918 email@example.com|
|Anne Brennan||Access Administrative Assistant||+353 (0)74 918 firstname.lastname@example.org|