LyIT Student Union – Data Protection Notice to Students
As a student of LYIT, some of your personal data will be processed by LYIT Student Union (LYIT SU). The data held by LYIT SU is collected from LYIT and directly from yourself during the following processes:
- Class Reps
- Crèche Subsidy Applications
- Clubs & Societies Programme
- Working Groups
- Student Union Elections
- Student Enquiries (to the SU)
Personal information held by LYIT SU is treated with the highest standards of security and confidentiality in accordance with data protection legislation.
What information do we collect about you?
The types of personal data processed by LYIT SU include, inter alia:
- Student ID number(s)
- Name, date of birth and telephone numbers
- Addresses (home and term addresses)
- Names, ages and birth certificates of dependent children
- PPS number
- Email address
- Next of kin/emergency contact details
- Details of previous examination/semester results
- Name of Crèche/Childcare your child/children attend
- Course details
- Financial information (including details of funding and status of fees)
- Bank details, including IBAN, BIC, Name of bank/building society
- Academic status
- Attendance records
- Engagement with IT system
- Health and disability information
- Socio economic grouping
- Employment status
- Income details
- Disciplinary information
- Image in CCTV footage/photography/filming
How do we use the information about you?
The purposes for which LYIT SU may process your personal information include:
- To monitor and evaluate the student experience
- To administer any funding due to you
- To identify you and enable you to access resources by means of your ID cards
- To enable effective communication with you
- To process scholarships, prizes and awards
- To ensure your health, safety and well-being
- To provide information to organisations such as the Social Welfare, Revenue, SUSI, the Gardaí, in line with legal and government requirements
- To produce reports and aggregated statistics for management and research purposes in order to plan and improve services
- To administer voluntary surveys of student opinion about your experience and the performance of the LYIT SU
- To create and publish print & electronic material (e.g. handbook, posters, website, etc) for promotional and archival purposes
- To maintain a proportionate CCTV system for the specific purposes outlined in the LYIT CCTV Policy
- To assist with law enforcement or where required or authorised by law
- To confirm the details of your academic achievements, for the purpose of any applications for awards, funding or scholarships submitted by you, a core record of your studies is only retained for as long as it is necessary to do so
- To respond to requests for information made under data protection legislation
- To allow our appointed graduation gowning and photography company/ies to set up a booking facility/ies for graduation gowning & photography
Does LYIT SU share your data with any third parties?
LYIT SU undertakes to maintain your information securely and restricts access to employees, officers, LYIT and data processors on a strictly need to know basis.
Below are examples of when LYIT SU will release data about you to third parties (i.e. outside LYIT) where we have a legitimate reason in connection with your time here at the Institute.
LYIT SU may share your relevant personal data with bodies including the following:
- Student Universal Support Ireland (SUSI) for grant eligibility purposes
- Department of Social Protection to verify employment status and eligibility for allowances
- Revenue Commissioners
- Sponsors funding student prizes and awards (your name only)
- Potential employers/recruitment companies for verification of reference
- Irish Survey of Student Engagement (ISSE)
- Legal advisors
- An Garda Síochána to assist in the prevention or detection of crime
- Our appointed graduation gowning and photography company/ies
- On LYIT SU Website and social media pages for Clubs & Societies contact details (first name and student email address only)
This is not an exhaustive list and any other disclosures to third parties not listed here are made only where there is legitimate reason to do so and in accordance with the law.
Parents, guardians and other relatives
It is your responsibility as a student to communicate and engage with LYIT SU on relevant matters. LYIT SU will not disclose your data to parents or relatives without your consent, other than in exceptional circumstances i.e. where there is potential danger to the health or well-being of a student. We may agree to discuss matters relating to you with a parent/relative but only if you consent to this. Exceptionally, where urgent communication with a student through direct contact details is not possible or has, following repeated attempts, been unsuccessful, contact may be via a student’s parents and/or next of kin using contact details provided by the student.
All graduating students, including those graduating in absentia, will have their name, award and classification listed in the graduation booklet (name, student number and relevant school will also be provided to the photography and gowning company). The graduation ceremonies are streamed live on the internet and are recorded for publication on the internet and for archival purposes.
Many LYIT SU events are recorded and streamed/published on the LYIT SU website/social media pages.
You have the following rights, subject to certain exemptions, in relation to your data:
- The right to be informed about the data processing that LYIT SU does
- The right to request access to your personal data held by LYIT SU – to have a copy of the personal data that we hold about you
- The right to rectification – to have inaccurate or incomplete personal data rectified
- The right to erasure of personal data where there is no legitimate reason for LYIT SU to continue to process your personal data
- The right to restrict the processing of personal data – you have the right to block the processing of your personal data in specific situations
- The right to object – you can object to the processing of your personal data by LYIT SU in certain circumstances, including the sending & receipt of direct marketing material
- The right to object to automated decision making & profiling. LYIT SU does not currently make decisions affecting students by automatic means without human intervention
In order to exercise any of the above rights please contact us using the contact details set out below.
LYIT SU will retain your personal data in accordance with the LYIT retention policy in the data inventories. The policy operates on the principle that personal data is kept for no longer than is necessary for the purpose for which we collected it. It is also kept in accordance with any legal requirements that are imposed on us. This means that the retention period for your personal data varies depending on the type of personal data.
We are committed to ensuring that your personal data is secure with us and with the data processors who act on our behalf. We are continuously taking technical and organisational steps to better protect your information. Data Protection training has been made available to all staff.
How LYIT SU will contact you
We may contact you by telephone, email or post. In addition, if you have provided us with your mobile number, we may text you with relevant information e.g. exam information, grant information, appointment reminders, etc. We are reviewing the legal basis for sending you text, and in the event that it is consent, we will review how your consent will be captured and maintained in line with the requirements of GDPR.
How to contact us
Please contact us if you have any questions about the information we hold about you or to request a copy of that information:
By email: email@example.com
Data Protection Officer,
Letterkenny Institute of Technology,
Telephone: 353 (0)74 918 6000